You are 7 days into the Healthy Steps ONE HUNDRED MILE CHALLENGE!!
(A refresher on the Walking Challenge HERE)
Week 1 was completed, therefore 49,000 steps / 25 miles walked.
This week: February 20 – 26
The month of February is American Heart Month so lets focus on taking care of your HEART.
Heart Healthy Fruits and Vegetables in season NOW:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Lemon s
- Kale (all varieties)
Some Easy Tips to LOVE your HEART
(as recommended by the America Heart Association)
- Control your portion size ~ use a small plate, don’t go for seconds
- Fill up on heart healthy vegetables
- Sleep yourself well ~ Less than 6 hours is not a heart healthy habit , 7-8 is recommended
- Avoid Trans Fat ~ remove any foods from your diet that contain the word “hydrogenated”. Common hydrogenated foods: margarine, processed nut butter, coffee creamers, foods fried in hydrogenated oils, cookies, doughnuts
- Use the healthy fats like Olive Oil and Nut Oils
- Reduce sodium (salt intake) ~ The American Heart Association recommends 2300mg of sodium a day for healthy adults, 1500mg if you have Diabetes
- Load up on foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids ~ Salmon, Sardines, Halibut, Herring Mackerel, Tuna (fresh) , Trout, Nut butter, Pumpkin Seeds, Flax Seeds, Walnuts, Chia Seeds
Lindsay Mazur, MS RDN