My husband and I travelled to Italy last year, and of course, the food was amazing! Italian food can be very healthful too, like this delicious, high-protein Eggplant Parmigiana recipe. If you’re craving comfort food that’s weight-loss friendly, this meal will fit the bill! It’s also a completely vegetarian meal.
Note: This dish is great when it is served with roasted sweet potatoes. Cut a medium sweet potato into 1” chunks (leave the skin on) and toss with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast in the oven with the eggplant parmigiana, 425F for about 45 minutes.
High-Protein Eggplant Parmigiana
1 Large Eggplant, sliced into 1/4” think rounds
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
15.5 oz package extra firm tofu
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/8th” rounds
2 cups no-sugar-added marinara
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 425F. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and arrange on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. Roast for 10-12 minutes, until the eggplant is just tender. (If you want to serve with roasted sweet potatoes, prepare those now too).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the mozzarella, ricotta, crumbled tofu, remaining 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper.
- Spread 3/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9×12” glass dish. Top with half of the basil leaves.
- Layer half the roasted eggplant and zucchini slices and gently pat half the ricotta mixture on top.
- Repeat with another 3/4 cup marinara, then remaining basil, remaining eggplant and zucchini slices, remaining ricotta mixture. Top with last 1/2 cup of marinara and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in your preheated oven
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Lindsay